Sunday, December 9, 2007

Raising the Bar in Milwaukee


I've worked in the service industry since I was 16 years old and have bar tended for the past 7 years. Over those years, I've learned a lot about people and their values, beliefs and tendencies. So for this project I sought out the veterans in my field- the beverage consultants who have been slinging drinks before I had even the slightest idea of what a brandy old fashioned sweet was. The gentlemen featured in my photo essay have made their careers serving tasty elixirs, listening to their customers' problems, and making those same problems disappear, if even for a brief moment. These men are wise beyond their years and have their collective finger on the collective pulse of the city of Milwaukee. With ever-changing trends, fads, and themes in the tavern industry, these men have withstood the test of time and continue to retain and collect loyal clientele.

Being a bartender, myself, I know the challenges that come with the job- unruly drunks, long hours and late hours, putting a smile on your face if even if you're having a bad day and trying to set yourself apart and represent your establishment in a positive way in a city that is saturated with watering holes. There were some challenges in doing this project, as well. I know the all the bartenders I shot. Some are acquaintances and some are close friends. My aim was to film them in their respected elements as naturally as possible. Some were camera shy and some liked to ham it up. Negotiating the lighting was a challenge, as well. Most bars are dimly lit with light sources placed inconsistently throughout the space. So, adjusting the camera settings was tricky as was positioning my subjects. This project was a lesson in light, space and people.

No comments: